This restoration and adaptation of a 1902 Hyde Park residence by architect Hugh Garden with Richard Schmidt for a family of five was originally known as the Frankenthal House. Though the exterior form and details throughout are of the Georgian Revival style, Garden’s Praire School influence is apparent in the interior planning of the first floor with its open and continuous public spaces that maximize daylight, views and connection to the exterior porches and gardens.
It is with a similar spirit that the interior renovations were conceived; the original service kitchen, butlers pantry and servants dining room were combined to create a new open kitchen, family room, breakfast room and connected mudroom to accommodate a contemporary lifestyle. The existing finish carpentry and millwork were restored or replaced. In specific cases such as the living room mantel and dining room ceiling, missing elements were recreated in the spirit of the originals.
The project also entailed a full exterior restoration including masonry cleaning and tuckpointing, re-built windows, shutters, stairs and porches.
Interior Design: Soucie Horner, Ltd
Landscape Architect: Peter Lindsay Schaudt Landscape Architects
General Contractor: J&M Construction, South Chicago Workforce
Photography: Evan Thomas – Studio Thomas