Built in the 1870's, this two-story brick and wood frame single family residence is located in a landmark district of Chicago. Although exterior changes visible from the street are restricted by landmark guidelines, the project included a complete gut renovation of the interior and the removal of a 1980's two-story addition in the rear yard.
The newly opened interior space is defined and vertically connected by a central two-story volume that is naturally lit from a series of skylights above. The central volume contains the home's service spaces and is carved to reveal an open stair whose landing extends to form the kitchen counter. A wall of cabinetry on the west compliments the stark gallery wall on the east.
The large south-facing opening extends the living space into the garden and provides natural light and views deep within the house.
construction - Fraser construction
photography - Monica Rosello, Tony soluri & tom bader