Great Lakes Academy (GLA) Charter School celebrated it’s opening with a ribbon cutting ceremony on September 25.
Wheeler Kearns Architects designed an expansion that doubled the school’s size by connecting it’s 1911 three-story brick masonry building to a neighboring building, a former Catholic Church – through a one story glass link. Under the soaring ceiling of the former church, scholars will exercise and compete in their new gymnasium, on a regulation sized basketball court, volleyball court, and climbing wall. A new landscaped entry will become the front door for the school, with places to sit incorporated throughout. GLA’s ambitious 100,000 SF campus expansion will provide exceptional educational opportunities for young scholars.
More information on the school can be found on their website: https://www.glachicago.org/